Many of our clients are keen to differentiate their websites from those of other advisers and planners, by adding financial video content.
A quick Twitter poll also showed that a proportion of advisers (of those who responded at least) are keen to use financial video on their site. We asked: “In respect of video on your website, do you”:
- Have it and are happy (7%)
- Have it but could improve (15%)
- Plan to record videos (38%)
- Have no interest in video (40%)
Over the past few weeks we have helped two clients record a total of 10 videos. Now, we aren’t Martin Scorsese nor Steven Spielberg, but we thought it would be useful if we pulled together a few thoughts about how you can make the most of the opportunity financial video presents.
#1: Produce evergreen content
Unless you’re a natural in front of the camera who can ad lib like a seasoned pro, you will need to:
- Write a script
- Get compliance approval
- Record and then edit the video
That’s a lot of effort for your content to suddenly go out of date, because the Chancellor decided to change something in the Budget
The more ‘evergreen’ your content, the better. Consider starting with a brochure video explaining what it is you do, and why someone should choose to work with you. Then perhaps videos about the type of client you work with, why financial planning, the value you add to the client journey.
#2: However, if you can be up to date…
There’s something very impressive about being timely and first off the mark. That’s why our Budget reports go out within an hour or so of the Chancellor sitting down. (Shameless plug over!)
Therefore, if you have the ability and inclination to stand in front of your smart phone, record a short piece, upload and then distribute it, it can be very effective.
The recent problems at Monarch, which left thousands of holiday makers concerned about their travel, provided a great example. Within a couple of hours, money.co.uk had a video out. You can view it by clicking here. We all have the ability to produce this type of content in our pocket. The fact it isn’t Oscar winning cinematography isn’t important; that it is useful, relevant and timely certainly is.
#3: Financial video on its own won’t be enough
Video ticks a lot of boxes; it’s proved to increase the time we spend on websites and plays a part in Google’s search algorithm. But we can’t just expect to add a video to a webpage and expect it to produce miraculous results overnight.
Like any form of online content, it needs promotion to the right audience to be successful.
#4: Repurpose the content
Not everyone wants to consume content via video. Indeed, some can’t, especially if they are viewing your site at work or they don’t want to use their data allowance. You need to cater for those people who prefer to read.
Adding further written content on your video page is vital. There’s a great opportunity to repurpose (yes, I know, it’s a horrible phrase) your content, by publishing a transcript. Those people who prefer to read, rather than watch will find it useful, and Google will like the longform, unique, nature of the content.
#5: Get the calls to action right
Getting someone to read, watch or listen to your content is only half the battle. You want people (preferably the right ones) to get in touch.
That means getting the calls to action right, either on the page where your video is displayed, or at the end of the video using some of the tools YouTube offers.
#6: Have a purpose
Shooting a video, just for the sake of it, probably won’t generate the results you might have hoped for. Having purpose will ensure that your video is relevant, useful and offers value to your audience. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What are you trying to achieve by having video on your website?
- Are you trying to attract a certain type of client?
- Are you trying to spread a particular message?
The final product will be entirely dependent on this step.
Don’t be put off
Our rudimentary Twitter survey showed that 40% of those who responded have no interest in producing video (stay behind after class, we need to chat!) the other 60% seem keen though.
So, what’s stopping you?
I’d hazard a guess that for most advisers it’s one of the following:
- A lack of time or resources
- The perceived cost
- Nervousness of being in front of the camera
- The thought of having to deal with compliance
There’s no doubt if you get a professional videographer in, they can take some time to produce; but the effort will set you apart. Alternatively, if you choose to produce them in-house they can be done very quickly.
So, don’t be afraid to consider financial video for your online marketing. It isn’t always the cheapest nor the easiest to get right.
But, if that were the case, everybody would be doing it…